Here in Colorado, we enjoy some of the most beautiful landscapes the West has to offer. Both the Arkansas River and Clear Creek offer gorgeous sights, cool water, and wide open skies framed by canyons that are sure to be appreciated by even the most disinterested teenagers. If you have kids, regardless of their age, then we have a whitewater rafting experience perfect for them. When you go down the river, you inspire kids to catch hold of their curiosity, incite a sense of adventure, and create lifelong memories that they'll be talking about for many holidays to come.
Of course, to have the best experiences does require coming to Raft Masters prepared to have fun and to do it safely. The following is a quick look at our top tips for kids, teens, adults, and everyone in between:
- Dress appropriately. The right clothing can make a big difference in how comfortable you and your kids are throughout the rafting experience. We recommend using our free river boots that are designed for rafting. Why go home with wet shoes? But you are welcome to wear your own footwear if you prefer. If you wear your own, they must attach to your foot, so water shoes or tennis shoes are fine. Flip-flops, crocs, and anything without a strap around the back of your foot are no-no’s. Again, at Raft Masters we can provide you with a pair a river boots designed specifically for rafting, free of charge.
- Raft Masters will provide you with a wetsuit at no additional cost. Wetsuits are optional, but provide an extra layer of warmth and protection. Depending on weather and water conditions a wetsuit is often a great option and, hey, they’re free! Easy decision if you think a wetsuit is a good idea on your day.
- For clothes, wear a pair of quick-drying shorts and top, or bathing suit, but try to avoid cotton - it gets cold when it’s wet . Bring along dry clothes for after your trip.
- Be prepared for the sun. The sun can get pretty brutal here in Colorado after a day spent outdoors -- and sunburned kids are grumpy kids not having a good time! So be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen and lip balm. Sunglasses for every member of the family are a really good idea, as well as sunglass straps or retainers that will keep them around each family member's neck while rafting.
- Everyone will be required to wear a helmet (a Raft Masters safety rule - not a law) when rafting. Visors and baseball caps can generally be worn under your helmet, but we recommend caps without that little button thingy on the top. It gets pretty annoying after being pressed into your head for a while.
- Bring some friends! Share the excitement.
- Finally, pay attention to the pre-river Safety Talk. We’ll cover a lot of things that probably won’t happen but you will be glad you listened if they do!
Book Your River Adventure with Raft Masters
Now that you know the basics, are you ready to pack up the kids and head out to enjoy your next river adventure? Whether you want a trip to last a couple of hours or a couple of days we have the staff, experience, and equipment to set you up completely for Colorado river rafting adventures. Visit our website, browse our many exciting packages, and book today!