If you haven’t been whitewater rafting in Colorado, you are missing out on an amazing experience. Nothing can come close to the exhilarating rush you get while your guide and crew are paddling through the rapids, riding waves, and bumping over rocks.
From beginner level families looking for unique vacation activities to experienced adrenaline junkies who love the thrill of the ride, whitewater rafting in Colorado in the rushing waters of the Arkansas River or Clear Creek is just the adventure you need.
Whitewater rafting in Colorado is a fun way to get out and enjoy the great outdoors no matter what your experience level. Here are a few tips to help you get the most from your Colorado rafting adventure.
5 Helpful Tips for Colorado Whitewater Rafting
- Be Prepared – The first thing you need to do if you are new to whitewater rafting in Colorado is to just relax and remember this is going to be fun! Once you get good with the fact that you will get wet and that you might fall out of the raft, it’s all good! Your whitewater rafting guide will advise you near each approaching rapid which way to swim should you fall out and direct you with cues to avoid danger. In addition, always keep your feet up so they don’t get trapped by rocks and make sure your life jacket is secure and tight.
- How to Properly Sit in the Raft – An important skill to have when Colorado rafting is how to properly sit to help keep you safe in the raft instead of in the water. Be sure to keep your body and feet always planted firmly in the raft. In addition, tuck your front foot under the closest air tube or foothold of the raft for extra security. It is also helpful to sit on the outer rim of the raft to best keep your balance during the ride.
- How to Hold the Paddle – When whitewater rafting, utilize the paddle for an extra balancing point when things get bumpy along the way. Simply putting your raft paddle in the water when the waves get rough and paddling harder can actually help keep you in the raft and out of the water! Also, be sure to use your upper body to get a strong paddle stroke and stretch forward while holding the paddle with both arms for the most power.
- Pay Attention and Stay Alert – Listen to what the guide says and follow the commands for a safe and memorable Colorado rafting trip. It’s ok to talk and have fun, just be sure to be ready to perform any last minute or abrupt instructions during your rafting in Colorado.
- Work Together – Whitewater rafting in Colorado is a team activity. It truly takes all of the people in the raft paddling together to make it the through the rapids. Working together and paddling in sync is the key to success for an enjoyable ride.
If you’re ready for a real adventure, Raft Masters offers Colorado rafting trips on Clear Creek and the Arkansas River and have the perfect whitewater excursion for rafters of every skill level. No rafting gear? No problem. Raft Masters whitewater rafting trips in Colorado offers competitive prices that include all river rafting gear. Their reputation as a premiere Colorado whitewater rafting outfitter makes them the perfect guide for an exciting whitewater rafting adventure you will never forget!
Learn more and start preparing for your Colorado whitewater rafting trip today with our FREE Colorado Rafting vacation planning kit!